Get Started Developing with Holochain
- 8GB+ RAM (16GB+ recommended)
- 4+ cores CPU (6+ cores recommended)
- 30GB+ available disk space
- High Speed Internet connection
Install the Holochain Dev Environment
Prerequisite for Windows: WSL2
The Nix package manager, which we use to install and manage Holochain development tools, only supports Mac and Linux. Please install Linux under Windows with WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux).
Holochain is supported for the Ubuntu distribution under WSL2.
Install the Nix Package Manager and set up Holochain binary cache
At a command line:
bash <(curl https://holochain.github.io/holochain/setup.sh)
In a new shell session type:
nix run --refresh -j0 -v github:holochain/holochain#hc-scaffold -- --version
Look out for binaries being copied from
holochain-ci.cachix. It proves that the Cachix binary cache is configured correctly. If it works, there will be lines like this:
The Holochain Dev Environment is configured successfully on your system if you see a scaffolding version like
at the end of the output.
Scaffold An Example Holochain App
Type the following at the command line:
nix run github:holochain/holochain#hc-scaffold -- example forum
When prompted, select the UI framework you prefer.
After completing the project setup, the scaffolding tool will output the commands to run the Holochain app.
- Dive into the Holochain Core Concepts.
- Take a look at the developer documentation.
- SDK and API references
- Rust HDK overview Learn more about Rust in the Rust book.
- Join the discussion in the HC.dev discord.